Kuda Laut - Mentawai
The Kuda Laut team have been doing charters to the Mentawai's, Telos, Nias and Banyak Islands for 18 seasons - they know how to find the best waves with the least crowds in the Mentawai, such as Rifles, No Kandui, Ebay, etc. in the
Bintang - Mentawai
Bintang is an ocean going 110ft schooner, the largest Western owned vessel in the Mentawai Islands and is set up exclusively for surf charters. The boat is owned and operated by Daryl and Ashton Robinson - keen and experienced surfers. They are
Kingfisher Bay Resort - Mentawai
Positioned directly in front of Lances Left, arguably the most consistent wave in the Mentawai archipelago, Kingfisher Bay Resort gives you the opportunity to experience a strikingly original part of the world unlike anywhere you've ever been to or
From 1122 pp 825 pp for 7 Nights
Aloita Resort & Spa
Aloita Resort offers a smorgasbord of aquatic activities in crystal blue water right at your front door. The surf shuttle will zip you twice daily to breaks right in their backyard such as the famous Telescopes lefthander and also up and down the
From 1142 pp 914 pp for 7 Nights
HTs Resort Mentawai
HT’s Surf Resort is located right on the beach, directly in front of HT’S surf break. Starting this 2013 season, they are running a new 41-foot transport boat “HT One”. Weather you’re a single traveller or part of a group, just
From 1659 pp 1020 pp for 9 Nights
Bohemian Baru - Mentawai/Banyaks
Bohemian Baru is a spacious and comfortable power cat just built in 2011 - perfect for a group of 8-12 surfers. You can expect really good food, experienced crew and a smooth ride on board Bohemian Baru. They offer charter options from Mentawai to
From 1455 pp for 12 Nights
Oasis - Mentawai
Oasis is a very good-value surf charter boat in Mentawais, able to serve up to 10 surfers. She is a 80-feet long traditional Indonesian boat and has a 17-foot speedboat with 85HP onboard to get you fast to the surf breaks.
From 1938 pp 1462 pp for 11 Nights
D'Bora - Mentawai
KM D’Bora is a MASSIVE 80 foot timber vessel running 12 night charters and has been recently refurbed in a funky retro design. This charter will depart with a minimum of 6 guests, however can take upto 16. Great value boat!
From 2023 pp 1527 pp for 12 Nights
Melaleuca - Mentawai
Built new in 2007, the Melaleuca boast traditional Indonesian design with all the modern amenities and safety features of a western style boat. 80 feet of comfort and space at the best value in the Mentawais. The interior space boasts aircon and
From 1734 pp 1564 pp for 11 Nights
Indo II - Mentawai
Cruise around the Mentawai islands on this affordable charter surfing in spots like HTs, Playgrounds, etc. which means waves for all levels of surfer. The boat has recently been renovated and sleeps 12 comfortably in a dorm style room and
From 1598 pp for 12 nights
Naga Laut - Mentawai
The Naga Laut is one of the best value charters in the Mentawais - this massive boat has room to move, as well as the horsepower to get you to where you want to be. Although the boat could sleep 14 surfers, it will sail with 8 and prefers to have
From 2020 pp 1616 pp for 11 Nights
Pelagic - Mentawai
The Pelagic is the choice of the surf industry heavyweights and pro surfers, hosting the who's who of the industry over the years so you know the operation is first rate and very experienced. Exclusive to The Perfect Wave network, this boat is
From 3293 pp 1634 pp for 13 Nights
Huey 1 - Mentawai
The Mentawai Islands offer some of the best and most consistent waves in the world. Huey has been operating in these waters since 1999 providing surfers with a variety of waves to suit all levels of ability. Steve, the owner of Huey will be your
From 1980 pp for 11 Nights
Nusa Dewata - Mentawai
The KM Nusa Dewata is a beautiful 57’ (14’ beam) wooden sloop rigged motor sailor commissioned in Lembongan back in 1992. Nusa Dewata Surf Charters cater for a minimum 5 and maximum 6 persons for each charter., so is perfect for smaller groups.
From 2013 pp for 11 Nights
MV Addiction - Mentawai
Addiction is owned, operated, and skippered by surfers for surfers. The luxurious 24 metre (80ft) high speed catamaran and their experienced crew will take you on the surfing adventure of a lifetime. With over 15 years of combined experience in
From 2720 pp 2040 pp for 9 Nights
Aileoita - Mentawai
The Aileoita is a beautifully crafted surf charter boat, designed from the ground up by surfers for surfers ,with high safety and comfort standards - it is a step above the rest. Recently rebuilt and overhauled, Aileoita is back, better than ever.
From 2142 pp for 12 Nights
Samudra Biru - Mentawai
Samudra Biru, formerly known as The Nusantara, was designed with speed to be able to put up to 10 guests on the best waves at any given time. Not only fast, she is also comfortable, both under power, even in rough seas, and at anchor. The owners and
From 2244 pp for 11 Nights
WavePark Mentawai Surf Resort
WavePark is a beautiful, intimate resort catering to maximum 12 surfers just near Hideaways break in the North Mentawai area near Playgrounds area. They are a very professionally run surf resort with the best breaks right at your door.
From 2448 pp for 10 Days
Quest 1 - Mentawai
Surf charter boat Quest 1 will satisfy your thrill for a Luxurious Surf experience across Mentawai islands and will bring you to the best spots in Indonesia for Surfing. Operating all over Indonesian Waters, depending on season and weather
From 2720 pp for 13 Nights
Most avid surfers won't even need to read this section, as the Mentawai Islands are to surfers, what paints are to an artist..... an absolute necessity. Any surfer who's read a surf mag or watched a surf video will undoubtedly have fantasized over something from the Mentawai.
The Mentawai Islands are a chain of about seventy islands off the west coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. There are 4 main islands and the rest are small islets. The islands lie approximately 150 kilometres off the Sumatran coast and are widely known as the KING of surf destinations. They span about 160 kilometres and encompass thousands of wave possibilities, but the 49 named breaks are some of the most famous waves in the world. The islands are fringed with coral barrier reefs, which get pounded with swell from the Indian Ocean that infiltrates the little passages, bays, inlets and points to supply waves to each area.
Considered the most consistent area of surf in the world, the Mentawai can get surf year round, but is best from March to November.
The most popular way to surf the Mentawai Islands is by charter boat, but there are also a couple of great resorts if you are a land lover or travelling with a non-surfing partner. Travel to the resorts from Padang is either by charter flight or overnight ferry. Charters generally depart Padang in the afternoon or evening of the first day and return on the morning of the last day. Most charters can be extended at an additional cost if dates and availability allow; and most boats can do charters to Nias and Telos for just the cost of the fuel surcharge.
The Perfect Wave has the largest number of charter boats to choose from. The best option is to get together a group of your friends and we have boats that can cater for groups from 5 surfers right up to 14. Alternatively if you can’t get a group together, The Perfect Wave can match you up with other small groups or singles to make a charter.
- Burgerworld - This is a mushy pointbreak right-hander. Can offer barrels at times, but usually long rippable walls with many cutback sections.
- E-Bay - This is a hollow left that barrels off the takeoff with a short wall down the line. A great option when a lot of swell is hitting.
- Pit Stops - This is the right off the peak at E-Bay. A playful right that can offer some cover-ups off the takeoff, but mostly a high performance wave with air sections at the end. Ends in a sandy channel.
- Bank Vaults - A heavy right-hander that barrels and spits. Usually larger than most spots in the area. Watch out for cleanup sets.
- Nipussi - A shorter right that breaks down the point from Bank Vaults. Definitely fun and rippable. Usually has fairly deep water from the takeoff to the inside. Ends in a riptide that sucks all the water back out to sea. A good option when there’s not much swell, and usually the most consistent spot in the area.
- Hideaways - A very hollow left that can be very shallow at low tides. The waves come out of deep water, and then unload on a shallow section of reef before barreling towards the channel.
- No Kanduis - A long barrelling left that wraps around a small island. Usually very sectiony, but can line up on the largest of swells. Many barrels on offer, but usually only makeable for one or two sections before closing out.
- Four Bobs - This is a small peak for when there is heaps of swell, or guys looking for a mellower option. Mainly a right with a short barrel off the takeoff, but quickly dies off into the channel. There’s an even shorter left, but usually not worth the effort.
- Rifles - One of the best waves in the Mentawais. A very long right-hander that wraps around the other side of the same island as No Kanduis. Rarely makeable from start to finish, but even just from section to section you can get rides up to 100 metres or longer. Nice and hollow once it’s a few feet overhead, but usually more sectiony at smaller sizes.
- Icelands - Another consistent lefthander for when the swell is smaller. Usually always has some rideable surf, even when other breaks are flat.
- Telescopes - A perfect wrapping left reef. Long walls wrap around the reef with very few sections on larger days. Mostly breaks in pretty deep water, but it can get heavy and shallow on the inside on bigger days.
- Scarecrows - Breaks off of an island just south of Telescopes. Good lefts but a bit more or less predictable and shifty. It’s a short, wedgy wave that works best on a dropping high tide.
- Bintangs - A short and hollow right across the channel from Lance’s Left. As the wave approaches the reef, the bottom drops out before barreling towards the channel.
- Lance’s Left - Long left walls wrap down the point before hitting the last section, which is the main takeoff area. Great hollow section after the takeoff. A big board helps on the larger days.
- Hollow Trees (HT’s or Lance’s Right) - A great right-hander that has been all over the surf mags and videos over the last decade. The main takeoff spot is up the point where most of the waves start barrelling and peel flawlessly down the reef. On larger swells it can be very shifty and hard to read. It can shift more to the end bowl where it can break, reform, and then bowl again into the channel. The inside is very shallow and is often referred to as the “surgeon’s table” due to the many reef-cuts.
- Macaronis - One of the most perfect waves in the world. A very hollow wave with many shallow spots. Lefts start from way up the point, and then gradually slow down as it approaches the channel. The further up the point you paddle, the faster it barrels when you take off. After the initial barrel ride, this wave offers one of the most rippable walls for any maneuvers you can think of.
- Rags Left - A great lefthander that can hold the biggest swells. It is very hollow and can often dish out some of the heaviest hold-downs in the island chain. Usually a bit more water moving around so a larger board can be useful.
- Rags Right - A shorter, hollow right on the southern end of Rags Island. Similar to HT’s only a little shorter, but just as good. It can be fickle, but it’s one of the best rights in the islands.
- Thunders - Another large left that picks up and can hold the biggest swells. It’s a serious wave on the outside, that gets a bit mellower on the inside section. Another wave that usually has a lot of water moving, so a bigger board is advisable.
- The Hole - Another very hollow left off a small island in the southern end of the Mentawais. Starts barrelling off the takeoff, but never really stops until a closeout section at the end of the reef.
There are quite a few more waves out in the islands that work on different swells and tides. Our resorts and surf guides know exactly when and where they are breaking!
Season & Weather
The winds are variable throughout most of the year. May to September generally sees the better easterly trade winds, which work well on the main breaks. March, April, September & October typically experience light winds and glassy conditions.
Water temperature is fairly constant at about 27-28C.